This course comprises four days of tuition, coaching practice, homework and assessment leading to the British Canoeing Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Paddlesport. The qualification is aimed at individuals new to coaching, who have some knowledge of the sport, and wish to learn how to help others enjoy canoeing.
Participation in this course will develop your ability to plan, deliver and review safe, ethical and effective paddlesport sessions in any craft. On the course you will develop ‘how to coach’ skills alongside a technical understanding of ‘what to coach’ relating specifically to the skills required by beginners in the sport.
As well as developing coaching practice relevant to any type of canoe or kayak Level 1 is offered both as a boat-based and bank-based qualification.
- Be a minimum of 16 years old.
- Membership and registration with British Canoeing – see below.
- British Canoeing Foundation Safety and Rescue Training – Level 1 candidates must have previously completed this one day course.
- British Canoeing 2 Star or Paddlepower Discover – those wishing to qualify as boat-based coaches are required to hold one of these awards.
All candidates are required to register for the award with British Canoeing (or national association if appropriate).
The Coach Registration (CR) form and details of the registration process and fees can be found at http://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/courses/level-1-certificate-in-coaching-paddlesport or national association websites. You should allow at least two weeks for your registration to be processed and a stamped copy of your CR form to be returned to you together with the Level 1 Coach candidate pack.
Please ensure you bring with you to the first day of the course the following:
- Your CR form and candidate pack (see Candidate registration above)
- Your Foundation Safety and Rescue Training (FSRT) course attendance certificate*
- For candidates seeking to qualify as boat-based coaches, a British Canoeing 2 Star or Paddlepower Discover certificate*
- A completed Personal Details Form
*Please bring the originals of all certificates, not copies, to your course.
Please note that boat-based coaches will be required to demonstrate personal competence in all of the skills covered by the 2 Star syllabus for both canoe and kayak in order successfully to complete the course.
The Level 1 Coach course comprises tuition, coaching practice, homework and assessment tasks over four days. A detailed course programme will be provided on Day 1 of the course.
Personal clothing and equipment:
Please bring personal clothing and equipment suitable for going afloat or working from the bank appropriate to the weather conditions forecast for each day of the course. This should include water/wind proof outerwear and a hat. Please also bring personal paddling/coaching equipment, including a buoyancy aid if you have this.
If you are able to bring your own boat and paddle(s) great, but this is not absolutely necessary as a variety of craft will be available to participants during the course.
Saturday 13-Sunday 14 and Saturday 20-Sunday 21 May 2017, Taplow, £269 per person, contact: email@example.com, tel: 01628 671131