The British Canoeing Touring Award is designed to develop your ability to apply appropriate decision-making skills to ensure an enjoyable and safe day out exploring on the water. Completion of the award recognises that you have the personal skills and experience required for a successful day on a river or estuary paddling in/on the craft of your choice. Holding the award demonstrates an appropriate level of personal skills for those seeking to become Paddlesport Coaches or Leaders and provides a sound basis for working towards the Open Water Touring Award.
There are no pre-requisites for those wishing to commence training or undertake assessment for this award. Completion of the British Canoeing Paddle Explore Award and Foundation Safety & Rescue Training however offer ideal preparation for the Touring Award.
- Understanding your paddling location – weather and water conditions and access
- Getting ready – selecting suitable clothing and equipment
- At the water – other users, etiquette, aims and motivations, safety and rescue
- Touring skills – launching/landing, forward paddling and manoeuvring skills, dealing with/using wind and currents
- After the session – what have we learned and what might we focus on next time?
Training and/or assessment
10-11 August, Berkshire/Buckinghamshire, for further details and bookings see http://www.engagewatersports.com/british-canoeing-courses/bc-touring